Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Newmanic (Mnemonic) Device

Not that I'm going to poll the audience. However, if I did, I'm sure that my research results would reveal that many of you, like my Dad, suffer from age-related CRS syndrome? Can't Remember Shit.

Although countless hours of research have been conducted on ways to counteract the debilitating disease, no real antidote is presently available on the market - black, stock, or otherwise.

Dad's remedy, like many other sufferers, is the infamous Post-it. He has Post-its sticking here. Post-its sticking there. Post-its sticking everywhere. Post-its that read "Change underwear!" Ok, that's a lie, but it rhymed.

Long before the invention of the Post-it, people used a form of memory aid called the mnemonic device to remember something, especially lists. Based on the principle that the human mind can more easily remember spatial, personal, sexual or humorous information than arbitrary sequences, mnemonics rely on associations between easy-to-remember constructs which can be related back to the data that is to be remembered.

Common examples of mnemonic devices include:
  • Our good friend, Roy G. Biv, to help remember the colors of the spectrum - Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.

  • Roger, my brother's call name, has been used in radio communications to mean - Received Order Given, Expect Results.
Roger: Being French, I am often confused by constructs of the English language. For example, I can never remember the sequence of the two vowels "i" and "e."

Newman: Ironic that you bring up that topic, Bro. I use this "Newmanic" device to help me with spelling:
  • "I" before "e," except after "c," or in sounding like "ay" as in "neighbor" or "weigh."

Newman: See how that works?

Roger: Oui, oui!

Newman: Good. Here's another one:

  • Red sky in morning, sailors take warning; Red sky at night, sailors delight.
Newman: Know what that phrase means?

Roger: Mad in the morning when the alarm goes off and happy at night when it's time to hit the sack again?

Newman:
After that recent incident with the medicated Gold Bond cream, I'd prefer that you refrain from using the word "sack." Back to the issue at hand, although your answer was not a bad one, the phrase actually refers to the weather. Red sky in morning means bad weather is coming. Red sky at night means a beautiful day is on its way.

Roger: Thanks for the lesson, Bro. Since you've designated me as caddie for your show career, a job that I take very seriously, I decided to think of a mnemonic device to help me memorize what to pack for the road. Seeing how we accumulated a lot of gift cards this holiday season, I decided to use the term "Gift Card" to help me remember a lot of the important stuff to have on hand.
  • Grooming Bag
  • Identification
  • First-aid Kit
  • Towels
  • Crate
  • AKC Registration Papers
  • RedBarn Bait
  • Dog (can't compete without a dog)
Newman: Good job, Rog. You're a quick study. Maybe you do have a brain in that over sized head of yours.

No comments: