Monday, November 15, 2010

It's official!

I am now a Dog Scout of Troop 161! Mom passed the responsible handler portion of the test on Saturday by completing the requisite "Smart End of the Leash" course. While normally I'm not one to toot my own horn, this is a huge accomplishment for Mom, my handler, and me. I now have the privilege of proudly wearing an official Dog Scout vest and scarf which Mom ordered today. Roger and Thelma are still Scouts-in-Training and are not yet entitled to that luxury. So, now the badge craze begins.


I've already started to work on the following badges:
  • Community Service
  • Clean Up America
  • PhoDOGraphy badge
  • Overnight Camping
  • Hiking
My first activity as a full-fledged Dog Scout is going to be bell-ringing for the Salvation Army. I am so excited it makes me want to go pee on a tree — only in my backyard, however, because elimination in an unseemly manner is forbidden by Dog Scouts. 

After bell-ringing, I'm thinking of maybe taking my show on the road. A trip to national Dog Scout Camp in Michigan could very well be in my future. I just happen to have access to a very sweet RV owned by Grammy Lee and Uncle Mark.

Newman's Tour Bus

I've taken the RV for a "virtual" test spin around the block already (while it was parked on risers), but that was before I earned my full Dog Scout title. I am sure that Uncle Mark will willingly hand over the keys for such an important educational trip where I will make him and Grammy Lee all the more proud!

On the Road Again

2 comments:

Maggie Mae and Max said...

Yay fur you and your mom Newman!! I think that is quite an accomplishment. My mom always puts green papers in the Salvation Army kettle, but if she saw you ringing the bell I am sure she would gives more. :)

WOofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

Anonymous said...

Newman before I hand over the keys to the RV, you better learn to pull the seat a little closer to the steering wheel and place your paws at 10 and 2 on the wheel. I might reconsider after you successfully complete a Doggy Driver's Ed course.

Uncle Mark