Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Beggin' Beggin' Beggin' - I smell Beggin'

Sassy Mae
With the exception of teenagers who find begging for money second nature, there aren't many people who enjoy doing it. I admit it. I detest solicitation pleas as much as the next guy. That's why I limit my begging to issues which I feel are of the utmost importance.

Like my late sister Beulah Ruth, I find donating to charities that are near and dear to my heart personally rewarding. Yesterday, I found out about a sweet, brindle boxer girl named Sassy Mae who desperately needs help to pay for extensive medical bills because of injuries she sustained from an attack by a Pit Bull/Dingo mix.

Injuries Sustained from Pit Bull Attack

I personally have nothing against Pit Bulls and will not make this a platform about their ferocity. My intent is only to solicit funds to help nurse Sassy Mae back to health, which will hopefully include being able to save her front left leg from amputation.

Sassy bandaged up

Aunt Beth Downey will be fostering Sassy Mae until she is well enough to be placed in her "fur-ever" home through Adopt A Boxer Rescue (AABR). While Sassy Mae couldn't have a better foster mom/nurse, she still needs our financial support. Her hospital bills are already several thousand dollars. AABR depends on donations to survive so any amount of donation is very much appreciated. Although Roger doesn't know it, I have already pledged to donate his weekly allowance, as well as mine, to the "Sassy Mae Fund." Every penny counts.

Additionally, we will be selling homemade dog biscuits to generate funds. If you'd like to place an order, please e-mail me at NewmanOnTheBlock@gmail.com. So, if you're looking for a perfect treat for a special K-9 companion's Easter basket, consider buying a bag of biscuits from the Brushtown Barkery. Each bag contains a Baker's dozen of assorted flavors and costs $3.00. All proceeds will benefit the "Sassy Mae Fund."

Make no bones about it, times are "ruff" for everyone right now. But, if you can find it in your heart and wallet to reach out for Sassy Mae, I encourage you to do so. You can donate by PayPal or credit card on the Web site of Adopt A Boxer Rescue and note "Sassy Mae" when you make your donation. Checks should be made payable to "AABR" and sent to P.O. Box 423, Harrison, NY 10528. Any amount is greatly appreciated! All donations to AABR are tax deductible, too.

Finally, while not the journalist that I am, Aunt Beth does a wonderful job of telling Sassy Mae's story on the Amity Hall Boxers Web site. I encourage you to visit often to view her progress.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

catousiWhere are the owners of Sassy? It has the earmarks of irresponsible pet owners written all over Sassy's face and also wounded body.The owner of the pit bull should be held financially and morally responsible for the attack.If the owner is unable finacially to bare the burden, then maybe that should have been considered before taking on the responsibility of having and protecting 2 dogs.Having said that, my opinion is that the said owner or owners should have to donate a body part. Perhaps just one that they can live without like a kidney or their eyes, because they obviously could not see the wrongs that they were committing.

Anonymous said...

Poor girl! She looks like she's been through the ringer! I just made a Paypal donation to adopt a boxer rescue in support of her bills.

Juniper's mom