Thursday, March 20, 2008

Music to my ears

I went to work with Mom today and, as usual, had a good time. After lunch I met a "couple" of interesting people, and I mean that literally -- the couple being Mac "the Night" Nelson, an almost 80 year-old, retired employee of the Law School, and his bride-to-be Cathy. Although I've heard that Mac is quite the vocalist and is world renowned for his performance of "O, Holy Night," Ms. Cathy is not some young law student who Mac swept off her feet with a serenade of "Always and Forever" or "My Love."

From what I could hear under Mom's desk, which was a little muffled, they met through a singles group at Mac's church. Ms. Cathy seems like a lovely lady. I hope that Mac doesn't mess up a good thing by insisting that she adhere to the old biblical adage, "Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord," (Ephesians 5:22). Lord knows, Mom isn't one to roll over on her back and urinate in submission to Dad, and they seem to have a perfectly healthy marriage.

Before Mac left, I asked him if he could howl a few stanzas of Ozzy Osbourne's "Bark at the Moon," howl-ever, he declined saying that he doesn't consider himself the songster that everyone claims he is. As a matter of fact, he maintains that hearing his own voice on tape is as painful as listening to the scraping of fingernails on a chalkboard.

While many people like Mac sing for pleasure, vocal skill is usually a combination of innate talent and professional training. My late sister Beulah Ruth could howl with the best of 'em and she didn't make the cut for "American Idol," so I doubt that I am going to commit the time and resources to pursuing vocal lessons.


Beulah Ruth auditions for "American Idol"

No comments: